Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Three Muskies

We have a week and a day till opening, and we're getting there, slowly, slowly. Lots of things changed when the set was installed, and we've spent the last three days working out transitions and re-staging fights, and so forth. Monday night, while running off stage on the dark (no back stage lighting yet) I stepped on an electrical extension cord and my ankle buckled and I went flying. For the last two days I have had it taped and braced, and still can't move very well.

Which hacks me off mightily! When I first accepted the role of Athos, I thought I better get into shape for all the fighting it requires. I lost about 15 pounds, stopped smoking ( 5 weeks now), and started light workouts and lots of stretching and flexibility. I was feeling pretty good. In fact, I haven't felt this good in a long time. But I forgot that while I was getting into a little better shape, I still have bum ankles and bum knees. The structure is faulty, even though the surface is getting some new paint. So, I will be wearing the usual puffy shirt, wig, big boots, and so forth, and underneath, I will be swathed in bandages, tape, and braces, on pretty much any part that moves. 

It's like I told my father years ago when I first started Arden Shakespeare--I asked him to build a few set pieces for my production of 12th Night--a sundial bench, a period-looking bath, and a a few other items. When I visited him to inspect the stuff, I found them half done, and he was taking his time. My dad is a craftsman when it come to carpentry--nobody better, and he takes great care over everything he produces. I finally had to tell him " Dad, this only has to look good...from a distance...for 3 weeks...then we tear it all down." He was aghast. 

Well, that's going to be me. I just have to try to look good--from a distance-- for 4 weeks, and then I can break down completely. 

One of my castmates is leaving the production for a weekend to attend a premiere of a film she did that is being shown at the Hollywood Black Filmmakers Festival, or something like that. One of the wenches in the show will step up to fill her role for that time. When this was announced, I leaned over to Dani and whispered "Tell me again why I am missing MY premiere??" Of course, my role in the play is larger and more complicated with the fights and all, but still...


Robin Christopherson as Milady De Winter, and me as Athos



No comments: