Thursday, January 15, 2009

winter

I will never have the inner resources it takes to embrace winter. Why I haven't moved to the South, I'll never know. Well, probably because I am a card-carrying Midwesterner, but if I were someone else, someone who has the energy to make such a life changing move, I would head south, and I mean SOUTH. I wouldn't be a snowbird--matching white belt and shoes just aren't in the cards for me--I would relocate completely, and leave behind the frozen north ( I am writing this as I look at the temperature meter on my laptop which is reading -9 degrees outside)

Whenever I've gone to Dixie, I feel at home. Whenever I watch a show that's set below the Mason-Dixon line, it draws me. Maybe in a previous life I was a cracker from Mississippi. Who knows. But heat and humidity never bothered me much. Frigid air and snow, however, can send me into a tailspin.

I would love to live someplace where there is no need for the tons of sweaters, mittens, and parkas that are stuffed in my closet. The Keys. Costa Rica. Cuba. That kind of south. Atlanta is too cold for me. People in Jacksonville still need jackets. No! I want to spend the last quarter of my life in shorts and a teeshirt. 24/7, 365

2 comments:

ButtonHole said...

And you're waiting on.....?

Mark said...

Becoming someone utterly other than myself