Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Feeling Blue ...

Found this letter in my desk tonight:

My Dear Nephew, November 30, 2004

Have a very happy birthday!

I am sorry I haven’t got a nice birthday card for you but I’ve been thinking about you a lot. One of my friends (from our days at Anchor Hocking) visited me this afternoon, and I told her about our (you & I) trips to the country to see the cows. She thought that was nice and cute. Then I bragged about you and your acting and I showed the snapshot of your dad and his 6 children. Oh yes I bragged about your wife too. So do you suppose she got it that I think a lot of you & Dani? I forgot to tell her how I got our shift foreman to let me go to the hospital to see my first nephew. That was a great day for your Grandma Mann and I. We loved you then & that love just keeps on going.

Well, Mark I hope you will have a great day.

Love you

Aunt Bern


Bern (short for Bernice) has Alzheimers Disease, and lives in an assisted living facility now. She no longer remembers me--though my sister, who works there, said Bern was in her office and saw a picture of our family, and put her finger on my face and held it there for a while. I haven't been able to bring myself to visit her yet, though I think I will tomorrow.

No comments: